Expert Diagnosis of a Turbo Fault in Your Mini in Bellingham
Posted on November 28, 2020 by Carson Wileman
The Mini Cooper is iconic and fun to drive. It is highly recognizable and always turns heads. With proper maintenance, it is dependable and will last for years. However, some models are susceptible to turbo failure.
The Turbo in Your Mini
Turbo is short for turbocharger, and this is an essential part for many Mini Coopers. For the engine to work, air and fuel are mixed and ignited in exact proportions. The turbocharger then pulls extra air into the cylinder. This helps the engine burn fuel more efficiently and produces more power while reducing harmful exhaust.
Symptoms of Turbo Failure in a Mini
If your Mini Cooper is experiencing turbo failure, there are some symptoms that will indicate a need for a visit to your mechanic. Turbocharger failure can be catastrophic. Call us as soon as you notice any of the following warning signs.
- Loss of Power: The function of the turbo is to increase the power of your engine. If it is just beginning to fail, you may notice that your car is slow to react or it cannot maintain high speeds. When it completely fails, there will be an obvious loss of power.
- Whining Noises: When the turbo is working properly, it muffles engine noise. If it fails, you may begin to hear a loud whining noise.
- Poor Gas Mileage: The turbocharger helps your engine burn fuel more efficiently. So when it fails, you will have an increase in gas consumption.
- Exhaust Smoke: Exhaust smoke can be a symptom of a failed turbo. A crack in the turbo housing or a damaged seal can allow the oil to leak into the exhaust system. This will produce a blueish-grey smoke as it burns.
- Illuminated Check Engine Light: If your Mini Cooper detects an issue with the turbo, it will illuminate the check engine light. This light can come on for many reasons. If your light is triggered, have our mechanics perform a diagnostic check to determine the exact cause.
Causes of Turbo Failure
Turbo failure is a common but avoidable issue. Turbocharger failure can be devastating, so it is essential that you have your Mini Cooper inspected at the first sign of trouble. The main causes of turbo failure include:
- Improper Lubrication: Engine oil is necessary for lubricating moving parts. It protects them from friction and keeps them cool. If the turbocharger does not have proper lubrication, it can fail.
The oil must be high-quality and clean. Using the wrong oil or not having the oil changed regularly can lead to contaminant build-up and component damage.
It is imperative that the oil filter and engine oil are changed according to the manufacturer’s maintenance guidelines.
- Broken Seals: The seal located between the engine and compressor can fail and allow the oil to leak into the exhaust system. This will make the turbo work harder reducing efficiency.
- Debris: Debris can enter the turbo through the turbine inlet or compressor inlet. The foreign object can damage compressor wheels and turbine blades. To help prevent foreign objects from entering the turbocharger, have the air filter replaced regularly.
Preventing Turbo Failure
Regular maintenance can help protect your turbocharger from failure. It also gives your mechanic the opportunity to inspect your Mini. Easy ways to prevent turbocharger failure in your Mini Cooper:
- Oil Changes: Have regular oil changes performed according to your manufacturer’s recommendations.
- Let Your Turbo Cool Down: After reaching your destination, let your Mini Cooper idle for a couple of minutes. This allows the turbo to cool down.
- Regular Maintenance: Having regular maintenance performed is the best way to keep your Mini Cooper running for years to come.
Diagnosis of Turbo Fault in Bellingham
Never ignore an issue with your Mini Cooper. Doing so can lead to failures and expensive service bills. Instead, call Keith Cox Autobahn for all your Mini service needs.
Our shop features all the newest technology and equipment available. This allows us to fix your issue quickly. We also offer a 36-month/36,000 mile warranty to further guarantee your complete satisfaction.
Call Keith Cox Autobahn today to book your service appointment. We service drivers throughout the Bellingham, WA area. You can reach our service center on (360) 733-2721 or come visit us at 1814 Ellis Street, Bellingham.